Carrot Cake with Orange Frosting (A.K.A. Tony's 37th Birthday)

For Tony's birthday I asked him what kind of cake he wanted. My exact message was:
What kind of cake would you like me ot make you for Thurs? don't try telling me no. just tell me what you want otherwise Dana will pick for you and you may not like it.
I had to be harsh otherwise he would have said something along the lines of don't make me anything special or whatever you want, etc. So, he responded with German chocolate cake with coconut frosting or carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.

I like the options because A) I do not like coconut and refuse to have it in my house and B) I'm not a huge fan of Carrot cake. However, I did make carrot cake for Sam's birthday and it was not terrible, but for 3 people? I didn't want to make that whole cake again. Remember that awesome cake? So, anyhow, I decided, what the hell, I'll make another carrot cake (different recipe, of course).

All pictures are personal unless otherwise noted.

This Recipe is from the cookbook 1 Mix, 100 Cakes.


 











Start by shredding your carrots. I found putting a box grater on top of a measuring cup to work great!


Then sift your dry ingredients into a bowl, then add your wet ingredients; beat well.





Then add your OJ, carrots, and pecans and stir together.
 

Pour the batter into a prepared 9 inch round pan and bake for 1 hour. Take out and cool for 10 minutes and invert onto wire rack.

Let cool completely. In the meantime, beat all your frosting ingredients together. When cool, frost your cake and decorate with pecans. Cut and serve!





Carrot Cake with Orange Frosting

Cake
1 1/2   c   flour
1         T   baking powder
1         t     cinnamon
1         t     ground ginger
3/4      c    butter, softened
3/4+    c    brown sugar
3               eggs, beaten
2         T    orange juice
1 1/2-  c     coarsely grated carrots
1/2+    c     chopped pecans

Frosting
1/4      c     whole-fat cream cheese
2 1/4   c     powdered sugar
1+       T    orange juice
                  finely grated rind of 1 orange (optional)


  1. Preheat oven to 325 deg F. Grease and line a 9 inch round, deep cake pan
  2. Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and ginger together. Add butter, sugar, and eggs. Beat well until smooth. Then stir in OJ, carrots, and pecans
  3. Pour into pan, spread to level. Bake 60-70 minutes until well risen, firm, and golden brown.
  4. Let cool 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to finish cooling.
  5. For frosting, beat all ingredients together adding enough OJ to make it spreadable. Spread over the top of cake, and decorate with pecan halves.

Comments