1 Dish Chicken-n-Rice Casserole!

Ok, so I love Chicken. I also love rice. So, what could be better than chicken and rice together? That's right! Chicken and rice casserole which only requires 1 pan! This is my grandmother's recipe which my mom made for us growing up all the time. Now I make it about every other month (yes, even in the summer [mainly because it is so easy and I always have the ingredients {except, perhaps, the chicken} on hand to use up]).

A few notes: 
  1. Since both my fiance' and I prefer dark meat, I usually make this with 6 chicken thighs or 4 leg quarters. I have tried this recipe with 4 chicken breasts (they were on sale), but it's not enough meat and they were overcooked and dry. You'll want to keep the chicken on the bones.
  2. I usually use white rice. I have also tried different amounts of rice. Too little, it gets dry and over cooked. Too much and you risk having raw rice.
  3. It's a dish best served with a side salad and not much else (of course, maybe apple crisp, but that'll come later). 
  4. I know a few people who have tried this with cream of mushroom and said it added a nice change of flavor. However, I do not eat mushrooms, so cream of chicken it is for me. Also, just using chicken stock is too thin, you'll want it to be creamy.  
Ok, enough rambling, here she is!


Chicken-n-Rice Casserole

Layer the following ingredients in a 9x13 greased casserole dish

 -1 1/2     c       uncooked rice
 -1                    whole cut-up chicken
 -                      salt and pepper to taste
 -1         pkg      dry onion soup mix (crumble over top)
 -  1  c   milk +  1  c  cream of chicken soup (mix together, pour over top)
 -                      sprinkle with paprika (optional)
 -                      dot with 2  T  butter

Bake 350 deg. F for 1 1/2 hours covered, 1/4 hour uncovered 

Enjoy!!

Comments